…I see them carried away headlong, grim and obsessed, in the general onrush of the human herd, unable to stop themselves or to change their direction. – Chuang-Tzu
From last week (How Do I Fix It?) lets continue on the topic of Change. We’ll discuss a general philosophy of be~zen~do and specific techniques from various sources to effect lasting change, even transformation…
A basic easy to follow ‘change’ philosophy is Be, Zen and Do.
- Be: Through reflection and other practices like journaling, meditation, affirmations and visualization figure out what we want to achieve. Create a vision of the end state.
- Zen: Use mindfulness to our advantage as we pursue a change goal. Increasing awareness of self and our motivations is the key here…
- Do: Apply appropriate techniques to cement habits and allow the change process to occur naturally and with great success!
Daily Affirmation: Today I AM a change master!
Recommendation: Change Anything by Kerry Patterson
If we have not quiet in our minds, outward comfort will do no more for us than a golden slipper on a gouty foot. – John Bunyan
Here’s the amazing thing … We know how to fix most situations, we know what will help and what will soothe … but we’re still not able to do it? Why? Here are some reasons:
- Lack of correct understanding: We might be aware only of the peripheral issue not the deep seated one.
- Lack of skill: Don’t know what skills to apply in a given situation.
- Hypnosis: We’re hypnotized, we live our daily lives like zombies, we keep going like the Energizer Bunny!
It’s not rocket science and once understood effecting positive change in our lives is fairly straight-forward. Will power is not the key. Stay tuned as we explore this whole subject in the coming days.
Daily Affirmation: Today I AM the subject.
Recommendation: Living the Science of Mind by Ernest Holmes