Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties. – Erich Fromm (Interview)
2 comments on creativity.
- Don’t think you’re not creative. Any thing that’s beautiful or good that you do in your own unique way, whether it’s a piece of art or the artful way you converse or understand others, is being creative. Most of us, knowingly or unknowingly convince ourselves that we’re not creative, the truth is quite the opposite, give yourself some credit!
- You can be more creative. When you stay more in the moment (not overcome by your mind chatter), being playful and are not ruled by your biases and expectations. Our biases, expectations, assumptions and certainties about anything limits us, which limits our creativity.
What say you?
Recommendation: The Art of Being by Erich Fromm
Only that day dawns to which we are awake. – Henry David Thoreau
It could be an entire day before we realize it’s gone! Does that happen to you?
We must become aware of ourselves as we pass through a unique day, that’s made up of unique moments and experiences. If we are constantly manufacturing thoughts about what’s going on with us or who’s doing what to us, then we won’t awaken to that day or that moment.
The only way to smell the rose is to awaken fully to the rose (not thoughts/concepts about it) and experience it fully for what it is.
Recommendation: The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
If you paint in your mind a picture of bright and happy expectations, you put yourself into a condition conducive to your goal. – Norman Vincent Peale
You control your thoughts and therefore control your actions. But for these thoughts to turn into things you must be at a high vibrational level. You’re at a high vibrational level when you think positive thoughts, feel joy in your being, are happy, feel love and optimism! Then you simply leave the ‘how’ to God or the Universe.
That does the trick!
So the steps are:
- Picture what you’d like
- Stay joyous, happy and positive.
- Leave the rest to providence.
Recommendation: Choose Them Wisely: Thoughts Become Things! – Mike Dooley
To understand is to forgive, even oneself. – Alexander Chase
- Do we understand why the person who irritates you acted in that fashion?
- Do we understand why we got irritated, what was it exactly?
With deeper, below the surface understanding we can truly know another, their real motives. With careful observation we can also uncover our own tendencies and motives. We can then be forgiving towards one and all, including ourselves.
Not being able to forgive is the biggest hurdle to living a spiritual and peaceful life!
Recommendation: The Awakening of Intelligence
If you think your life is about doingness, you do not understand what you are about. Your soul doesn’t care what you do for a living – and when your life is over, neither will you. Your soul cares only about what you’re being while you’re doing whatever you’re doing. – Neale Donald Walsch (Meditations from Conversations with God)
We pursue tasks, these tasks fulfill us and give meaning to our lives and we die while still doing stuff.
Which is all well and good because we certainly need work to be done, but did you ever wonder why we’re called human beings and not human doings 🙂 ?
There’s a beauty and sublime peace in life which can be experienced when we’re just being, because when we’re just being our mind chatter dies down, we can be in the flow and experience an equanimity which is otherwise hard to find!
Recommendation: The Power of Now – Eckhart Tolle
You will learn that you increase your burdens and decrease the likelihood of success by taking yourself too seriously. – The Urantia Papers
No matter what, you lose out if you’re not enjoying the present moment and the gifts it brings. Laugh, smile, inhale, jump, wink, kiss and make merry, this unique moment that you’re living is but a moment.
Recommendation: Savor this moment
The question is not, why start off on such a path? You have already started off. You did so with the first beat of your heart. The question is: Do I wish to walk this path consciously, or unconsciously? – Neal Donald Walsch (Meditations from Conversations with God)
You’re on the spiritual path whether you know it or not.
- So how can you make the most of it?
- How can a more conscious spiritual life contribute to your happiness or life effectiveness?
- What’s missing in your life?
- What would you love to have more of?
- Where-to is your life leading, ultimately?
- When will you spend time thinking about these things?
Recommendation: Meditations from Conversations with God – Neal Donald Walsch