Don’t be at the mercy of events, command your thoughts instead and command the events in turn. – mp
At the Mercy of Events
Something great happens and we feel elated and happy; something bad or terrible occurs and we’re in the doldrums. Sometimes we’re in the doldrums for no apparent reason!
Why be at the mercy of events?
All in the Thoughts
The problem and the solution both lie in our thoughts and how we think. We think most thoughts in our mind, unconsciously. Because we’re not aware of most of our own thoughts we’re unaware how based on assumptions they lead us steadily into feelings of fear, despair and depression.
- The first step is to be aware of what we think. Notice how a chain of thoughts is directly responsible for how you feel at any moment.
- Catch yourself before you start thinking in this fashion. Understand that life is change and that most of our fear about life is because life doesn’t appear to follow our own expectations. So an example might be that you apply for a job and don’t get it. Now you feel fearful because you hoped and expected to get that job. Because life didn’t turn out the way you expected you think thoughts right into a funk. Here’s the key though; you often think these thoughts unconsciously, you don’t know why you feel a certain way. The job incident might be haunting you 2 months later and you may not realize it.
- Don’t have expectations. Ok it’s hard but a habit is built one tiny step at a time. If your end goal is to be calm, peaceful and happy then you might want to do this! Don’t expect life to go your way. Do what’s necessary and then know that you’re capable of handling whatever life throws at you!
- Command your thoughts! You are your own master, control the quality of thoughts you think and you directly control the quality of your life. Period.
- Visualize what you desire. With regular frequency visualize what you want in as much detail as possible, include the feeling of living that life.
Let’s wake up and live a conscious and meaningful life!